Monday, April 1, 2013

Tim Holtz's April Inspired Tag

So..  we are on spring break... the kids are off.. I am off.. the weather is beautiful...  I should be outside, however, last night at 12:30 am..  I noticed that Tim Holtz had posted his April tag.  Now, I am BRAND new to the whole Tim Holtz world, but I've fallen fast and hard.  I've really been collecting things but haven't really started to use them, however last night I was so inspired I wanted to get working on it right away, however, I didn't have the distress paints... something I'd been "saving" for.  Well, it is a good thing I work for our local scrapbook store, and even better that I have a key (the store is closed Mondays) because I couldn't wait and first thing this morning I went and picked up some of the paints.  Sadly we were all sold out of the metallic distress paints, but I picked up what I could.  I already had the metallic distress stains at home and figured I'd be able to make something work.

Once home, and got a few things done around the house - it can't be all play (can it?!) I sat down and started creating.  Tim Holtz has done an amazing tutorial on how to get the fantastic patina look so I followed it as best as I could.  The big difference for me was using the paint without the metallic paints and then adding an extra step by adding the metallic stains.

I also didn't have the gorgeous dragonfly stamp - or really anything that allowed for me to stamp the image on the tag and then stamp on to the "clearly for art" (which I didn't have either).  So I chose the typewriter from one of his new sets and just stamped right onto some upcycled plastic - it was actually the cover from a set of Tim Holtz embossing folders that I had recently purchased.  I heated it to dry - just like he did - and it worked perfectly.

So, here is what I came up with...  I am so happy with how it worked!!




Supplies:
Distress Paint - vintage photo, peeled paint, salty ocean and broken china
Distress Stain - antiqued bronze, tarnished brass
Distress Ink - evergreen bough, broken china, vintage photo, peeled paint
Tissue Tape - Commute
Word Bands
Crinkle Ribbon
Stamp from Mini Blue Prints 4
Corners

Gears were from bead landing from Michael's
Brads were from my stash

9 comments:

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

You did a wonderful job on your tag. I love the typewriter and that tape is to die for.

Truly Lori said...

Your tag turned out really great. Love the old typewriter stamp!

iGirlZoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
iGirlZoe said...

Really nice tag. The typewriter works so well. Love the vintage feel to it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lafinsol said...

Awesome Moira, love it, love it, love it...isn't falling fun?...LOL

Monique said...

great tag! And I love the corner!

Cathy Michels said...

Love your tag and the subtle coloring. Having the key to the store sounds very dangerous! :)

Belinda Basson said...

The metalics have not landed in SA yet so I too used the Distress stains. Worked well. Love your stamp and I also used packaging. Tim is all about making things work for you and not replicating the original. Great tag.

Winnie said...

Such a fun tag! I love typewriters and how you used it. I love the Tim tape on it too. (I take the subway at the stop on that tape! Made me smile!)